Fans of all things geek, Long Beach Convention Center plays host to the Long Beach Comic Con on Saturday and Sunday (September 27 and 29) for its annual celebration. Long Beach Comic Con is a celebration of comic books and pop culture that showcases the exceptional work of talented writers, artists, illustrators and creators all types of pop-culture. Don’t miss this event that will soon rival even San Diego Comic Con. Visit www.longbeachcomiccon.com for additional information and to purchase tickets for this weekend’s event.
This weekend’s convention features an amazing lists of the best creators of comic books and panels. Guests include: Len Wein (Creator of Wolverine), Ben Templesmith (30 Days of Night), Bill Farmer (Walt Disney Hall of Fame Voice Actor), Matt Hawkins (Think Tank), Laura and Michael Allred (Marvel’s Silver Surfer), Pierre Bernard, Jr. (Conan O’Brien) and Mike Mignola (Hellboy). Just to name a few.
Long Beach, Con will present more than 80 panels over the weekend. These panels run the gamut of wide variety of pop-culture topics, including:
- Celebrations of comic book icons Archie, Batman, The Crow and Hellboy.
- Conversations about pop culture phenomenon The Katniss Chronicles: Hear the Girl on Fire; Honest Trailers; Robot Chicken.
- Topical and timely discussions about diversity in the comic book industry: Prism Comics panel, It’s a Queer, Queer World!; Race & Comics; She Makes Comics: A Documentary Celebration of Women in Comics; and more. And the details for the Dwayne McDuffie Award will be formally announced Saturday, September 27 at 10:30 AM.
- Animation panels dedicated to popular cartoons and appearances by Greg Weisman and Man of Action’s Joe Casey, Joe Kelly, Duncan Rouleau and Steven T. Seagle.
- Kids programming including interactive panels where kids can learn how to draw the Simpsons and Futurama characters and “how to draw your dragon.”
- Cosplay panels.
- Horror programming, with a panel moderated by Horror Writers Associated and a panel sponsored by the films VHS Viral and ABCs of Death 2 with new trailers for both films.
- A Young Adult panel featuring best-selling novelists Leigh Bardugo, Robin Benway, Cecil Castellucci, Melissa de la Cruz, Michael Johnston, and Margaret Stohl
- A Banned Books Week discussion led by the Newport Beach Branch Library with bestselling writer Joshua Hale Fialkov and SALON contributor Samuel Sattin
- #MakeComics workshops where aspiring writers and artists can learn from comic book professionals. Over two days, workshops will walk through the entire #makecomics process: from writing and drawing to running a Kickstarter and publicizing your work.
“We’re so excited for fans to experience the robust programming slate for Long Beach Comic Con,” said Phil Lawrence, Co-founder and Sales Director of Long Beach Comic Con. “It’s our most ambitious year to date for programing and we’re thrilled to offer panels that speak to the diverse interests and passions of comic book fans.”
If you’re into cosplay, Nerds Like Us will host the 2014 Long Beach Comic Con Cosplay Contest. The cost you contest will begin at 8:30 PM on Saturday, September 27. The panel of judges include: Host: Bernie Bregman, Nerds Like Us; Vegas Power Girl, Raychul Moore, Castle Corsetry & Reevz FX.
Prizes will be awarded in several categories: Best in Show, Best Hero, Best Villain, Best Youth (kids 12 and under) , Funniest, Best TV/Movie, Best Sci-Fi, and Judge’s Choice.
If you’re frustrated with the massive crowds and impossible to get badges of San Diego Comic Con, then you’ll want to be at the Long Beach Convention Center this weekend. Purchase tickets at the event or online at www.longbeachcomiccon.com.